Areeha is an old Canaanite city. Historians consider Areeha one of the oldest cities in the World. Its history returns to the stone age before 7 thousand years ago.
The city may be the oldest continuously occupied city in the world which shows the geographic importance of the city. Most importantly, every one can imagine the courage and fighting back ground of the people of Areeha. That was the only reason which had attracted Hajaj bin Yousaf to be selected them as the invaders of Subcontinent.
The origin of the name Areeha: Areeha means the moon for Canaanites.
Areeha was thrived in the Roman era, which is shown in the ruins of the courtyards that were build. However, Areeha’s popularity decreased, and it stayed in a size of a village or less until 1908.
Areeha is considered as the eastern gate of Palestine, it’s connected to the eastern bank in roads, it’s also connected to the Jerusalem-Oman road. It’s located to the north of Jerusalem, 38 km far from it, and 276 meters beneath sea level.
In 1922 the city’s population was about 1039 people, it increased to 2840 people in 1945, in 1965 they increased to 75000 person, but in June 1967 they decreased because of immigration to 5300 person.
Areeha’s lands are 137500 Donm.
It’s famous for it’s tourism location, the Dead Sea, and the Hesham castle, which is built by Hesham Bin Abd Al-malek are the most famous areas in Areeha.
Areeha is described in the Hebrew Bible as the "City of Palm Trees". Copious springs in and around the city attracted human habitation for thousands of years.It is known in Judeo-Christian tradition as the place of the decisive Battle of Jericho which secured the Israelites' return to the promised land from bondage in Egypt, led by Joshua, the successor to Moses.